It is not a secret that a final paragraph of a personal statement is extremely important. With its help, you can remind the key points and leave the audience with a great aftertaste. You can close your statement with a motivating sentence and linger in the minds of university experts for a long time.
However, concluding a personal statement is not the simplest task and should consist of the following elements: choice of the right strategy, selection of the most valuable courses, and proper presentation tools. You can talk about your value and show that you are a great candidate.
Our experts have already written thousands of personal statements, so know how to finish it in the best way. Read the tips and guidelines below, and you will never have to worry about a conclusion. Custommadeessay is a team of experienced writers, and you can totally rely on us when completing such an important task!
How to Finish a Personal Statement: A Step-by-Step Guide
Personal statement conclusions are often underestimated because a person is so tired of writing that only thinks of how to close the paper and press the ‘send’ button. However, it may cause them to enter the chosen school or even a career because there may be thousands of other candidates in the same position.
That is why you should learn how to write a statement of purpose ending, especially if you are genuinely interested in the future. Go on reading, and we will share the main tips on how to finish your statement in the best way.
Make Notes Along the Way
Inspiration may come no matter what you are doing: watching a movie, talking to a friend, or having a walk in the park. Actually, a great idea of an ending may appear even if you are still writing an introduction.
That is why the first and one of the most important tips is to be aware of those ideas and not to push them away. Write them down in the paper itself, in a notebook, or on your phone. Thus, by the time you start working on a conclusion, you will already have a few valuable ideas.
We recommend having a separate document on a smartphone, so you can write ideas on the go. Thus, you won’t have to spend hours trying to remember the thought.
Breaks Are Crucial
We hope that you won’t write a personal statement in one sitting. Your productivity and energy levels are dropping, and the result may not be as good as expected. If you have already written quite a lengthy piece and there are hundreds of words on the screen, put your computer away and give yourself some time to relax.
Most likely, the body paragraphs take the biggest part of your writing time, so you don’t want to ruin everything just because you don’t have enough energy for the conclusion. Relax, spend some time with the people you love or do hobbies, and return with enthusiasm and a clear mind.
That is why you should start working on a statement well in advance. Fortunately, most courses have long deadlines and are published beforehand, so you can get familiar with them without any hurry.
Read What You Have Written
Before writing a conclusion, we recommend reading the introduction and body paragraphs to remind yourself once again of what you have already discussed. This may give lots of insights and useful information for the final section.
Such simple but effective took may also save lots of your time because you might find a few paragraphs that fit better in conclusion, and there won’t even be a need to write one. Nice, isn’t it?
A conclusion should consist of not more than a few paragraphs, so you should keep the final section short and to the point. Being too wordy or indicating unnecessary details may ruin a positive impression from the work you have already done.
We recommend avoiding clichés and open questions that you are not planning to answer. Remember, it is not an essay, and the admission board won’t like that.
Here is how a formula of a winning personal statement’s introduction looks like:
- Your long- and medium-term goals. Discuss what you are planning to achieve throughout a career (within 10-20 years) and during 3-5 years after finishing the program.
- Short-term goals. Once more general goals are indicated, scale them down. Think about the stages you should complete to achieve the medium- and long-term tasks. Most likely, they will involve the goals to accomplish during the program. Short-term goals usually involve particular skills and instruments, research tools, and any experience that will help in building a career and achieving the most ambitious goals.
- Relevant features for the chosen program. When you have discussed your goals, write down characteristics that you are willing to master and achieve. For example, technologies, courses, and instruments. This may include faculties, internships, and training programs of an institution that will broaden the horizons for you.
- Finish. Once the above is indicated in your conclusion, it’s the right time to finish. It should be one or two sentences that show your strong motivation and confidence.
The Best Ways to Conclude the Personal Statement
By now, you know everything about good closing statements and already have a few tools that help to create a winning paper. Now it is the right time to discuss how to conclude a personal statement for graduate school with distinct examples.
When working on the final section, your main goal is to concentrate on the statement’s key elements. Don’t forget that it should be effective, clear, and brief. Summarize your experience and achievements, and explain what makes you a great candidate for the course. Make sure you follow the standards of length: the conclusion should be approximately one-third of the whole statement (around 200 words).
It is a misconception to think that you only have one chance to make a first impression. And ending a personal statement properly proves that. Here are the best tips with examples that may significantly help to grab the board’s attention and to impress them:
- Indicate the main points like your key skills, qualifications, and abilities. The board wants to know whether you are good for the program.
- Show your enthusiasm and willingness to learn. You must indicate your inspiration and why you have chosen a particular course.
- Discuss your transferable skills, showing how you can use your experience to achieve the above goals. This may be organizational skills, leadership, working in a team, and so on.
- Emphasize that you are open to new challenges and opportunities and are not afraid of difficulties. Explain why you can be successful in a chosen course and show that you have conducted strong research of the program and are sure that it fits you.
- Once again, restate key points to connect all sections of the statement, making them sound good together.
The Worst Ways to End the Personal Statements
We have already discussed what the conclusion paragraph of a personal statement should consist of. You also know how to link the introductory and opening section with the final one. These tips are useful for any course and program and will significantly increase your chances of being accepted.
However, there is one last thing we would like to discuss a conclusion for personal statement. It is the mistakes that you should avoid. It’s always better to learn from someone else’s mistakes, and we strongly recommend reading the information below attentively.
Here are the things to avoid in a personal statement ending:
- End the conclusion with an open question and leave the board without an answer. Leave rhetoric questions for essays.
- Write things that are not related to the main topic. Admission committees read tones of statements, so they want only the most important information.
- Show an absence of a point of view or clear plans for the future. This shows that you lack seriousness and are not sure whether you have chosen the right college.
- Choose courses that don’t relate to your school.
- Copy and paste someone else’s thoughts and ideas. Plagiarism is a crime, and you may get yourself into big troubles.
If you want to be accepted to a particular academic establishment, good grades and motivation are not enough. You should show interest in a program and explain why you are a great candidate. And you must create a strong conclusion that will leave the board impressed.
In case you are willing to entrust this stage to professionals, Custommadeessay is a great idea. We write papers from scratch, as well as solely its parts. You can additionally order proofreading or revision to polish an existing conclusion or any other assignment.
With us, your personal statement conclusion will be flawless!